Tuesday, January 08, 2019

We are the Champions!

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes 
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through
- Queen, We are the Champions


"...play is called off! India win the Test series 2-1! Finally, it's official. After 72 years, India have beaten Australia down under." - ESPNCricinfo ball-by-ball commentary

I first saw India playing in Aus in 1991 - almost 3 decades ago. We lost 4-0 and had never came close to winning the series ever since. That is why this series victory is different. It is not an in-your-face, adrenaline fuelled, edge of the seat feeling. It is much more satisfying.  

Results of India v Aus test series' in played in Aus
source: Cricbuzz

We started this series as favourites - or joint favourites. Throughout the series at almost all the key moments, we performed as the favourites. And finally, in Sydney, we won the series as the favourites. 

Over the years, even when India got close or won a game, it was as the underdogs punching up. In this series, when Australia won in Perth, they were the underdogs punching up. 

That is what has made this win so much more satisfying. Knowing that we were better than them. Playing better than them. Throughout the series.

We are the (satisfied) champions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well summed it up!